Everybody is having to make big adjustments to their lives because of remote working. Luckily trading and investing are very suited to working from home!
"The longest road out is the shortest road home". Irish proverb
The 7 tips for trading vs investing
1. The right tools. You don’t need a lot to trade and invest but when money is put to work, it must be treated like a business. That means you need to invest into your kit.
• A reliable internet connection (download speed of 1 MB/s)
• Computer (4 GB RAM & 2 GHz Processor) + 19”+ Monitor, ideally x2
• Trading platform with reputable bank (of course, FlowBank)
2. Morning Routine. The best recommendation is to do something very similar to what you’d do before commuting to work in order to create the same mindset that you are beginning work.
3. Schedule. Try to trade at the same time everyday or if you're investing for the longer term, every week. Evaluating your ideas on a regular schedule keeps you update to date with markets and in tune with your trading and investing plan.
4. Take Breaks. An office environment provides plenty of distractions to give you a break but at home you need to consciously take a break. Go have a coffee or cup of tea and just think of other things besides trading and investing for 5 minutes.
5. Ignore chores! In your house there are a lot of distractions and ‘to do list’ items relating to your home life that just wouldn't existing in a purely business stetting. Almost everything can wait except real emergencies, so just let them be until your are finished.
6. Keep socialising. We don’t want to become trading-obsessed hermits! It’s important to stay in touch with friends and colleagues. The ease of access to communications technology whether its Zoom, Skype or WhatsApp makes staying in touch very easy- even from a distance.
7. Stay Healthy. With the threat of the coronavirus, it is more important than ever to try to eat well and exercise on a regular basis. Healthy body, healthy investing mind!
Of course this list is not exhaustive, and lot of thought and work must be put in to achieve remote working success. But with these tips in mind, investing and trading from home can be a much more happy and productive process.